1. THANK GOD BY GIVING HIM CREDIT FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE - “Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.” (1 Chronicles 16:8)
Pride leads to claiming credit for things we have not done or earned. Let Jesus have the glory in all that He has done for you. He has given life, health, security, provisions, peace.
2. THANK GOD IN SONG - “And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.” (Ezra 3:11)
A cheerful heart is a blessing. Downcast and bitter lives bring defeat and sorrow. Praise and honor your Christ by your words, expressions, and even with a joyful song.
3. THANK GOD IN THE MARKETPLACE - “Therefore I will give thanks to you, O LORD, among the nations, and I will sing praises to your name.” (2 Samuel 22:50)
Give Him Credit for success and favor. The unbeliever or even the back-slider that you work with needs to be reminded that God gives and God takes away. They need your positive expression of your faith and your constant admission and reminder that Jesus is directing your life. You are the best advertisement that most of your peers will ever see for a real Christian. Reflect all of Him.
4. THANK GOD UNTIL THE END - “To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.” (Psalms 30:12)
Never stop thanking God. Thank Him all through your life, not just when you are having success. Thank Him in every way, every day.
5. THANK GOD BY CELEBRATING COMMUNITY WITH OTHER BELIEVERS - “I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.” (Psalms 35:18)
Going to church and to Christian events helps you grow in Christ. You also help the faithful by your presence. You may inspire many people, both young and old. Do not give in to the temptation to go it alone. We are called to work and worship with others. It honors God when we do.
6. THANK GOD BY SHARING WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR YOU - “O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.” (Psalms 105:1)
Make sure you ask God for the desires and needs of your life. Do not be afraid to talk with Him about every area of your life. Let Him in on the small things. Do not be afraid of letting others know how good following Jesus really is. God wants to work on your behalf.
7. THANK GOD FOR HIS GOODNESS AND MERCY - “Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.” (Psalms 106:1)
God's hand of mercy is on us all the days of our lives. Thank Him for sparing you from danger and directing your steps. He has been good to you. Do not forget all that He does for you. The air you breathe and skills you have been given are all from God.
8. THANK GOD FROM HOLINESS - “Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence.” (Psalms 140:13)
In order to really thank God you have to be loving for Him in your public and private life. Live Holy and you will have much to thank God for. Live for self and in sin and you will forfeit most of your benefits in Christ.
9. THANK HIM EVEN WHEN IT MAY COST YOU - “Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.” (Daniel 6:10)
There are going to be times when your desire to serve and praise God will cost you. Even if serving God is politically or socially incorrect the command has been given to thank Him. Daniel knew the secret of thanking God in the midst of hard situations. He did not stop praising God even though the law said it was illegal.
10. THANK HIM WHEN YOU NEED A MIRACLE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR HAND - “And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.” (Matthew 15:36)
When you need God to come through for you make sure you look for the things He has given you. God often makes you be a part of the answer to your prayer. Your joy and thankfulness will be great when God allows you to see His mighty hand work through you.
11. THANK GOD FOR HIS VICTORY IN JESUS - “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 15:57)
When you and Jesus show up in a situation you win. God will lead you in the victory you need over every situation. Thank Him for victory over sins, habits, situations, and needs. God has won, in Christ, a mighty victory. Positive thinking nor material prosperity have anything to do with victory. Victory comes from living in His victory all the time.
12. THANK GOD FOR USING YOU IN EVERY PLACE AND EVERY WAY - “Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.” (2 Corinthians 2:14)
God wants to use you to help people around you. He will give you knowledge and wisdom. Ask Him for divine wisdom and provision. God can use you in the office, at school, at home, in ways way beyond your human capacity. Thank Him for this honor.
13. THANK GOD FOR GOOD FRIENDS WHO SHOW THEY CARE - “But thanks be to God, which put the same earnest care into the heart of Titus for you.” (2 Corinthians 8:16)
God has blessed you with friends and family who encourage and inspire you to live for God and excel in life. Thank God for each of them. Do not be afraid of sharing with others. It will help you expand your ministry and service to God. People working together get more done than those going through situations alone.
14. THANK GOD FOR HIS DIVINE GIFT - “Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.” (2 Corinthians 9:15)
The gift you have been given is inexpressible. Words can not describe this gift or its importance to you. When Jesus came and paid the penalty for your sin on the cross you were given the capacity to receive this ultimate gift. Thank God for this gift of life in Jesus.
15. THANK GOD FOR THOSE DOING GOOD - “Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;” (Ephesians 1:16) “We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers;” (1 Thessalonians 1:2) “We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,” (Colossians 1:3) “For what thanks can we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God;” (1 Thessalonians 3:9)
Thank God for all the Missionaries and Ministries that are working for the kingdom around the globe. They deserve your praise and thanks. Thank God and think of them often. You can join them in service. You can support their service by volunteering or by giving to their needs. Thank the Lord for these Saints.
16. THANK GOD IN ALL THINGS - “Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;” (Ephesians 5:20) “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
Many things in life are not fair. The Bible says it rains on the just and the unjust. It is hard to thank God in the middle of pain and tragedy but it helps heal us and get us through the situation. Thank God for His love and comfort. Thank Him for knowing how to get you through all that you are going through.
17. THANK GOD FOR GIVING US AN INHERITANCE - “Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:” (Colossians 1:12)
Heaven is awaiting all who know Christ. You can thank Him for all He has for you in Heaven. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for you. This place is not like any in this world. In Heaven you will have no pain, no sorrow. There will be no more problems to solve. There will be no more bills to pay. Thank God for this inheritance that Jesus provided for you.
18. THANK GOD YOU CAN WORK FOR HIM - “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” (Colossians 3:17)
There is great joy in being able to work and live up to all the potential God has for you. He has divine plans for you and wants your life to be productive. There is no way to lose in life is Jesus is your way, your truth, and life.
19. THANK GOD CHRISTIANS ARE ALL BOUND TOGETHER IN ONE BIG FAMILY - “But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:” (2 Thessalonians 2:13)
God has given many unique and special manifestations of His church in this world. Do not be afraid to thank him for your friends in other Christian churches and ministries. All who call on Christ are in the same family. You do not have to give up your uniqueness in order to appreciate their value to Christ's cause. Thank God for the family.
20. THANK GOD FOR THE HONOR OF PRAYING FOR ALL MEN - “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;” (1 Timothy 2:1)
God wants you to pray for those in authority over you as well as those who do not call on the name of Jesus. The Muslims, Buddhist, Jews, Mormons, Spiritists, New Agers, Atheists. He wants you to pray for their needs, appreciate them, honor them and seek to win them. Thank Him for entrusting you with this worthy call to pray. Of course you are to especially pray for believers. Pray for their needs. Pray for them to have confidence to do what God is calling them to do.
21. THANK GOD NOT JUST ON THANKSGIVING or SUNDAYS - “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” (Hebrews 13:15)
Thanks-living is a 365 day a year job of every Christian. Everyone should be thankful to God for all He does for them and show their thankfulness everyday.
22. THANK GOD FOREVER - “And when those beasts give glory and honor and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,” (Revelation 4:9) “Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.” (Revelation 11:17)
Thank God that one day you will live forever in Heaven. You will join the angels in praising God for eternity. What joy!